Monday, March 23, 2009

Monday of the Fourth Week in Lent

The Jews Prefer Barabbas to Jesus.

I.

The innocent is compared to a criminal, the just to a thief, the king to his slave, the God of sanctity to a sinner. This outrage was less painful to his Sacred Heart than that which you inflict on him when you compare him to a creature and prefer his enemy, the devil, to himself. You are guilty of this as often as you sin. Which do you prefer of the two, Jesus or Satan? The creature or the creator? Heaven or hell?

II.

Oh my soul, how often have you thrown contempt and insult on Jesus! How often preferred some vile interest, or brutal pleasure, to his service! Many times you cried out with the Jewish rabble: "We wish not Jesus, give us Barabbas!" Oh, ye heavens, be astonished! My people have committed two crimes: they have left me, the source of living waters, and gone to drink from a broken and corrupted cistern which cannot quench their thirst.

Resolution: Today I will abstain from doing something I enjoy and instead I will choose to spend the time in prayer and spiritual reading.

Prayer: Oh Jesus, the greatest and most humble of men! Oh, first and last! When I see thee at the feet of Judas, I know not where to place myself. But when I behold thee put lower than Barabbas, I see no place but hell wherein to hide my confusion. Is it just that I should exalt myself above thee? Oh, if I prefer myself to the least of thy disciples, I prefer myself to thee, since, at this stage of thy sacred passion, thou art made the least of all. I repent of ever choosing anyone or anything above thee who art my only good and treasure. Never let me separate myself from thee by choosing another again. O Mary, keep me close to thy Son, for apart from him I am lost.

By a Member of the Society of Jesus, edited and amended by J. Scott Bailey, C.Ss.R.
© ASG

No comments: